The town lies in the north of the Abruzzo region, between the Salinello and the Tordino rivers.
Giulianova is split between the Paese, the historic town up in the hills, and the Lido, the more recent development down by the beach
Tourism plays a big part in the town's economy. The town, characterized by several beaches, is a summer retreat for people from large cities like Rome and Milan, as well as German and French tourists.
In pre-Roman times, the Praetutii tribe had a settlement called Castrum Novum in the vicinity of Giulianova. In the Middle Ages, the population of Castrum Novum, then called Castrum divi Flaviani, were moved to the new hilltown of Giulia, founded by the local baron Giulio Antonio Acquaviva.
Main sights: Church of Santa Maria a Mare, belonging to the former city of San Flaviano. Founded before the 11th century, it is a brickwork building with a sail-like bell tower.
The portal is from the late 13th century, and has a relief with "Madonna with Child and Animals", while two lions guard the sides, one holding a book and the other fighting with a snake. Under the arch are 18 stone tiles depicting enigmatic figures, described by some a representation of the Zodiac and the seasons. The octagonal Cathedral of San Flaviano, was built in 1472
The dome was originally covered by blue majolica. It houses a marble sculpture of "Madonna with Child" by Venanzo Crocetti Sanctuary of Maria SS.ma dello Splendore. In the sacristy is the 16th century Pala dello Splendore, an altarpiece by Paolo Veronese Ducal Palace Torre del Salinello, a watch tower built in 16th century to guard from Turk pirates.